_Pastor Chris Oyakhilome_
_Wednesday, September 9th 2026_
*CARNAL OR SPIRITUAL?*
_(Discover the Difference and Grow in God)_
*TO THE BIBLE:*
*1 Corinthians 3:1*
_“And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ.”_
*LET’S TALK*
Grafting is an agricultural technique where a branch (or scion) from one tree is joined to the rootstock of another.
That branch then draws nutrients from the new root system to which it is attached and begins producing fruit with better qualities as a result. However, if the grafting isn’t complete, the branch might still try to produce its original less desirable fruit or fail to thrive entirely. The key is that the connection to the new root system must be fully established.
The Bible reveals two categories of Christians: the spiritual and the carnal. As the Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians: *“for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men?”* (1 Corinthians 3:3). In other words, they weren’t spiritually mature. Their lives weren’t governed by the Word of God. Meanwhile, the spiritual Christian is the one whose life is regulated by the Word; he’s not just a hearer but a doer of the Word. He holds God’s Word as the final authority in his life.
These two classes of Christians exist in the Church today: the carnal Christian and the spiritual Christian. The carnal Christians are easy to spot: they gossip, fight, or act like everyone else online, even though they’re supposed to be following Jesus. As a newborn babe in Christ, you may find yourself still speaking the language of the people of the world, since you’re still growing in the knowledge of God’s Word; however, to remain at that babyhood stage is unacceptable. Some folks in the Church still talk worldly, months and even years after coming to Christ; they’re the ones Paul refers to as *“carnal.”*
He further highlighted the characteristic of the carnal Christians: Carnal Christians walk in jealousy and live like unbelievers because they lack understanding of spiritual things. But in contrast, the spiritual Christian has matured in God’s Word. They live it out in school, at home, and even on social media; they speak the Word, make choices based on it, and stand out for the right reasons. That should be you.
*GO DEEPER*
*Romans 8:6* For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
*1 Corinthians 2:15* But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
*1 Corinthians 13:11* When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
*SPEAK*
_As I study and meditate on the Word of God, I’m growing in Christ unto maturity. The Word of God is building me up, causing my faith to grow and prevail, working in me and producing what it talks about! I’ve left behind all carnality and childishness; I’m functioning at the level of a spiritual man in Christ. Glory to God!_
*DAILY BIBLE READING*
*ONE YEAR*
2 Corinthians 7:2-16, Proverbs 22-23
*TWO YEAR*
Luke 21:29-38, 1 Samuel 27
*ACT*
Pay attention to your words and actions today—online and offline. If something you’re about to say or do doesn’t reflect the standpoint of God’s Word, pause and choose the response that honours Him instead.
*_✍️ My Notes_*
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Comments
Post a Comment